Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Parent" vs "Mother"

In all the congratulations we have been getting lately, the word "parent" keeps coming up. To tell you the truth it kinda of caught me off gaurd because I haven't thought of this as be coming a parent- I've only thought of this as be coming a mother.

I know that makes no sense- but it does in my head.... It's taken me a few days to figure out why.

Having a child automatically makes you a parent, but it takes much more to be a mother or father.

"Parent" to me is just a role.

"Mother" and "Father" means responsibility. It's the choice to be a disciplinarian, care giver, and nurturer. It comes with feedings at 3am, finding a good day care, tough love, time-outs, instilling strong Christian values, and waiting up to make sure they are home at curfew among numerous responsibility.

You hear terms like "Mother's instinct"- not a "Parent's instinct"

Don't get me wrong- the word "parent" doesn't have a bad connotation in my head- it's just not how I have thought of myself up to this point.

I pray Chase and I will not only be parents to our child, but a Mom and Dad to our baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment