Saturday, November 12, 2011

Life Changes


****DO NOT ADJUST YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN*****

Yes, you see that correctly... Our house, 315 Elizabeth Court is for sale.

MLS 1317854 if you want to check it out!

There are going to be some MAJOR life changes in the Peeler house in the coming year. I am still trying to digest all of this which is why I haven't blogged about it yet. I do not do good with change, especially change that I can not control and plan for, so I haven't been dealing with this so well- but I think I am finally at a good place. So- here is the scoop....

Like I told you before ( http://peelerplaybook.blogspot.com/2011/08/change-is-coming.html ) Chase got a new job that he LOVES in Alabama. The original plan was to split the difference between our jobs and live in the Spring Hill/Columbia area and both commute. Perfect Plan! or so we thought... 

For the last 3 months Chase has been commuting 4 hours a day 5 days a week. It has really begun to wear on him, so the last month or so he has spent some nights down there depending on what is going on at work. It makes for some really long days for him, and some really lonely nights for me. And it is going to be even harder once Mary Claire is here. 

I am going to bare most of the baby responsibilities during the week. The baths, the feedings, the diaper changes, taking to and from day care, being off work when she is sick, being up with her at night (because Chase doesn't need to be sleep deprived driving 4 hours a day), etc. are all up to me. And what makes it even harder is that Chase wants more than anything to do all of those things and be an involved, active daddy, but he just can't when he leaves at 6am and gets home at 7pm. That is just not fair to Mary Claire. She deserves the best from both of us. 

The tough question we (mostly I) have been struggling with now is, "Is a moving to Spring Hill/Columbia really going to fix that problem?" The answer- No. Living there Chase will be commuting approx 1 hour and 15 minutes and I will be commuting 45 minutes (if there was no traffic). She would be in the car almost 2 hours a day. How fair is that to a baby? And really is that commute any better?

* What if she gets sick at school? It would be 1 1/2- 2 hours before Chase could be there.
* Or has a doctors appointment? It would still be me who takes her because Chase would be so far away.
 * What if she wants to take gymnastics and it starts at 4? I can't take off in the afternoons. Chase can, but he would be 1 1/2 hours away.... so do we have to tell her, "No, sorry hunny- Mommy and Daddy have to work"
* What if her school is having doughnuts with dad- he would still have to take off almost all day to go because is it worth the 3 hour round trip drive for a half day of work? 
* Chase would never be able to make a parent teacher conference, a 5pm soccer game, or pick her up from school. 

That is not fair to Chase to make him have to choose between supporting his family or being an active father. But more than that- It is not fair to our children to have an amazing father who wants to be involved but can't because of what? Because mom can't leave her comfort zone? That's just not right.

So, We have decided that the best thing for our family (as hard as it is for me to admit) is a move to Alabama.

Not only to alleviate all the above listed issues, but also at some point in our future I would like to work a 2-3 days a week- And to be in a financial state to do so, we will have to be in a place where Chase can thrive in his job (which by the way EVERYONE in the auction business says they see BIG things in his future)- and that place is not Nashville. 

So the plan now you ask?..... There is no plan! GULP!!!!!!!!!!

There is no good time to move. 

Now- I am 6 months pregnant- I would have to find a new doctor quick! Who is going to hire a pregnant lady that is about to go on maternity leave? (not to mention I am not licensed to practice dental hygiene in Alabama).  We can't afford to sell a house, buy a house, pay back the 8K tax first time home buyers tax credit to Uncle Sam, and have a new baby all on one paycheck. Plus- I love my job and my employer and I just could not leave them high and dry like that either. So, now is out of the question- although it would be nice to be settled before she gets here. 

After MC comes, in the Spring/Early Summer- Who wants to hire a lady with an infant that is going to have to go to the doctor all the time? Still going to have to payback the 8K tax credit. It is summer time which is by far the busiest 2 months at my work because schools are out for summer, and I just don't think I could do that to them, unless I knew they had a good replacement that was well trained before I left.

After late Summer- We don't have to pay back the 8K tax credit to the government if we stay in our house until Sept... isn't a few months worth $8,000? I think so! but- can you put a price on spending time with your child? I think not! Plus by this point Chase will have been driving 4 hours a day for ONE YEAR! Holly Cow! 

So what have we decided? - Put our house on the market and give it up to God. He will send us a buyer when He knows it's best for us to move. If it is sooner we will have to rent somewhere in Spring Hill/Columbia for a little while, and if it is later we will go straight to AL. We are giving up all control and letting God's will be done- Not that he isn't in control already, but it is hard (especially for the control freak in me) to completely give it all up and trust that God's got it under control. I hope that you will join me in my prayer for Him to lead and guide us to do what is best for our family.

So for now it is one foot in front of the other, and one day at a time. It is kind of invigorating to not know what tomorrow may bring. :)

2 comments:

  1. God is in Control and he will put you where he wants you when he wants you there. I moved 5 months pregnant and it is tough! As hard as it is because I am a control freak, sometimes, you just have to let go and let God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was, "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord". He will work it all out in HIS TIME. Do I need to tell you how very proud I am of your decision to let God control this? It will work out. Like you said, just one foot in front of the other and one day at a time. Don't forget Tummy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete