Monday, May 2, 2011

Couponing 101

Last year I started trying my luck with couponing and to put it nicely, I SUCKED!!! I was the one spending 2 hours cutting coupons, driving all over town to save $.30, buying 4 gallons of grape juice because it is on sale, and then throwing it out because we don't even use it. I ended up wasting a lot of food, and probably spending more money then I really saved. So, I got bummed and quit. I kept hearing about people saving so much money couponing (mainly Mary Leigh), so the end of last year I caught the couponing bug again, but this time I was going to do my research and really learn how to get the most out of using coupons. 


I spent the better part of one weekend researching couponing. I read all kinds of articles on different couponing methods, the best way to get your coupons, the best places to use your coupons based on their policies, etc. I think I may have called Mary Leigh 14 million time to tell her something "amazing" I had learned about couponing that she probably already knew. I got "my system" (which is an aweful lot like Mary Leigh's :)...) down pat and starting picking up Sunday Papers.


This time I was bound and determined I WAS going to save money, and I was ONLY going to buy things we use....


It took a little while to get in the groove of things but I have really been doing a good job if I do say so myself. My goal is to save the same amount I spend, I don't usually do THAT well, but I do only buy things we will use, and I do save quite a bit of money.


Here's some highlights of the ones I have documented...


1/9/11- CVS- spent $33.68 saved $17.34, not so good on the surface, but... I have $17 extra care bucks to use off my next purchase. So really it like I saved $34.34!!! thats like 50% savings off of things we will really use like Mt. Dews, razor blades (the good ones), 2 newspapers (with coupons), oh and a snickers :)


1/14/11- That is...2 bags of tyson chicken nuggets, 3 packages of brats, 2 band-aids, resolve, 6 healthy choice meals, 4 cans of soup, 2 boxes of pasta, 3 cresant rolls, 2 shredded cheese, sliced cheese, english muffins, breakfast sandwiches, cearal, etc....) for only $49.34!  (below)




4/11/11- Publix- spent $1.15, saved $7.11!!!! (below)




4/17/11CVS- spent $38 saved $37 and have $9 to use next time! Publix- spent $60 saved $35 on a week and a half worth of groceries! 


5/4/11-

 5/15/11- CVS- Spent $13.33 Saved $40.90... and $7 extra care bucks to use next time




So I have caught the bug... bad... and I feel like I am doing a good job! Couponing takes a lot more thought then my old way of just making a menu and buying those items. Now I survey what I have the pantry and plan meals accordingly. Ex- "Hummm... I have spaghetti sauce, noodles, and garlic bread... Now I just need to buy ground beef, and TA-DA... DINNER!!!!" I spend about 30 minutes weekly couponing and have cut our grocery bill by about 1/2! Now I'd call that a success!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment