Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Big Apple- NYC!

Back this summer, my MawMaw told Mary Leigh she was going to NYC at Christmas. In typical Mary Leigh fashion she invited herself, and ME... Then I invited my favortie mother-in-law and ML invited Stacey (her exchange student). The more the merrier right?!?! I have never been more excited about anything in my life... wait let me rephrase... I have never been more excited about any trip in my life. You see, I've always wanted to go to NYC. Going to New York has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl and at Christmas time- MEGA BONUS. When I was a teenager an opportunity slipped right through my fingers and I vowed from that point on I wasn't going to let a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g stop me. And I am one super lucky girl cause my main squeeze agreed with me! It was hard for me to stomach spending that much money on a girls trip when we are a single income family, but Chase would not let me talk myself out of it. Have I mentioned lately I love that guy? :)  So, it was official, we booked plane tickets and invited ourselves to New York with my grandmother.
There is no way to adequately sum up our trip, but here's some pictures of the fun we had!
 We had a super cool Mercedes Van pick us up from the airport!

The view from our hotel- The Wellington!  We were on 57th and 5th, about five blocks from the center of time square. Perfectly convenient!



Our first stop was for some new york pizza.



The whole Gang (minus Christina who wasn't there yet)


The view I had most of the week, the red coat.
We followed Ms. Kitty like her little ducklings all week- just follow the red coat to...

                        St. "Someones?" Cathedral                                  Empire State Building

Larger than Life Christmas Decor

 

                                               Radio City Music Hall                             





"The Tree" in Rockefeller Center


 Lego Land

it was some of our party’s very first subway ride, ever

Uh... Aunt Luanne, Can you try not to look like such a tourist?

Then our first night dinner Serendipity 

and of course, we got frozen hot chocolates, Y.U.M!

We hit up Dylan’s Candy Store, which was sugar overload

Shopping at Bloomingdales ML found these super cute pillows. only $179 each.
yes, each. insane. 

a stop a FAO Schwarz

and dancing on the big piano


Oh, Just me and Matt... no big deal

We watched 4th hour of the today show being tapped

a walk through Central Park, where we watched a tv show being filmed



 

Every little girl needs an american girl doll, right!?!?!? Mary Claire got her first one from NYC!

Times Square
 




We went to St. Paul’s Church, the church located right outside ground zero
it was one of my favorite things. It was very somber and moving.






then we walked over to ground zero


the weather was super dreary and misty and just gloomy, which seemed like the perfect weather for ground zero touring





"The Survivor Tree":  Sole tree that survived the towers collapse and 2 natural disasters in including hurricane Sandy.
And it’s so inspiring to stand at ground zero and look over and see the new trade center being built. BOOYA!


Two of us went through the subway turnstile the wrong way and got locked out- only one was documented by a photograph... The other shall remain anonymous (thank goodness!) which resulted in breaking the law and ALMOST getting arrested, but that’s a story for another day


We ate lunch at one of the coolest hole-in-the wall (LITERALLY) burger joint so appropriately called "The Burger Joint." Complete with black velvet curtains and graffiti all over the walls- perfect combo. But the burger was amazing, I’d even venture to say the best I’ve ever had!But you better know what you want to order before you get to the counter, otherwise you go to the end of the line... really... they don't play.


Our Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Cruise.
We had tickets to actually get off at both places and walk around and tour them, but Hurricane Sandy changed those plans, so we just got to see them from the freezing boat ride.

It was super foggy! This was our view of the harbor from the dock. Can you see Lady Liberty out there in the fog?

On the boat 

Ellis Island


Lady Liberty Herself




I have always heard she is smaller than you think... They don't lie! Plus I didn't realize she stood on top of a building? 

I was really sad we couldn't get off the boat and go tour Ellis Island or go up in Lady Liberty. Maybe Next time :)... There will be a next time!

Wall Street


New York Stock Exchange... funny I though it would be a little fancier?
DSC_0522

We tried to go up to the top of Empire State Building, but the fog and rainy meant zero visibility both nights we tried, so we opted to not pay to go up and see nothing.

So pictures in the lobby would have to do.


Another beautiful tree, this one at Bryant Park

Grand Central Station

We walked inside and watched all the hustle and bustle, and mentioned it’d be nice to know more about the building, we turned around to leave and saw a sign for audio tours!
We, of course, jumped at the opportunity and much to our excitement the hour tour was only $7. Seriously, best deal in NYC!


And fun fact, the pink marble stairs in grand central are from a quary right here in Tennessee!

And no trip to New York City is complete with out a broadway show!
My FAVORITE part!


And who got the best souvenir?I'm so glad you ask!
MawMaw!

She got a pacemaker... Straight from NYC. Gives a whole new meaning to I(heart)NY!


 It was a super fantastic trip. I’m so glad we invited ourselves!

2 comments:

  1. This is probably the most random comment ever but...

    I was googling to see how big different women looked at where I am in my pregnancy (16 weeks) and I stumbled across your blog. It's 4pm on a Friday, so I took my time looking at different entries. I'm from NYC and live/work here and it was really fun and cute to see your pictures from your visit here -- I never know what visitors do here.

    Anyway, thanks for the amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany! Where you looking my all my tummy tuesday post? It went by so quickly- enjoy every moment! Congrats on your pregnancy. We really enjoyed NYC- can't wait to visit again :)

    ReplyDelete